Home repairs are important, but it’s very easy to skip the roof. That is until it becomes an issue. New roofing is just about as important as it gets when it comes to having a safe and secure home. When a roof fails, it can cause serious devastation to the inside and outside of your property. That’s why it’s so important that you check your South Carolina home, and ensure that there are no problems that are going to cost you serious inconvenience and repair costs in the future.
The Basics of Roofing in Charleston
When it comes to choosing the right materials for a roof replacement or repairs, one of the first things that you’ll have to decide on is material.
Discuss your options with your preferred roofing companies Charleston SC. If you’re trying to do DIY roof repairs or replacement, then you’re going to need to have a very clear awareness of the many factors that will help you make your decisions regarding the material.
That’s not all. Everything from the angle of your roof to the weight will affect your roofing needs. However, most commonly for roof repair Charleston SC, you can expect to see the following as your choice of roofing material:
- Asphalt composition shingles: Low-cost and usually very easy to obtain, this is one of the most popular material options for roof replacement Charleston SC and roof repairs.
- Wood shakes/shingles: Although these are not popular for regions where there is a high chance of fire, these can be a very attractive option to consider in Charleston. They look fantastic, but they can be relatively pricey compared to your other options. However, they are also highly durable, so they are worth discussing with your roofing contractor.
- Metal roofing: These have become much more popular in recent years. Partly, this is due to their high level of durability, but also because they are fireproof. Metal roofing Charleston SC is popular because it is so cost-effective and long-lasting. One of the best things about metal roofing is that it is available in such a wide range of designs and styles, with some even resembling composite shingles.
- Slate roofing: While these make for a very attractive roof that is ideal for improving your curb appeal, slate roofing can be prohibitively expensive. Not only that, but it is also very heavy indeed, so you’ll need to know what you’re doing if you’re attempting to install slates alone. It’s also worth noting that they can also be very slippery, so if you’re replacing slates you will need to be very careful.
- Composition slate: Growing in popularity, a composition slate roof is one of the greener options available today. Made from 95% recycled material, they are lightweight, look like more expensive material, and are much more durable than standard slate.
- Clay/Ceramic tile: Not the most popular option in Charleston, these tiles are more commonly seen in much sunnier climates like Florida or South California.
Second Layer or Removal?
It used to be considered standard that a new roof would usually just be placed over the one that was already in place. However, this has been made illegal in many states, and for good reasons. These include:
- Weight: Having a roof on top of another can cause serious structural issues.
- Adding to errors: Just placing a new roof on top of an older one can easily mean that you are just ignoring flaws in the original. Lumps, bumps, and gaps can all cause issues for your newer roof.
- Time: It can take time to remove a roof by yourself, which is why layering a second roof on the existing one used to be so common. If you’re using one of the roofing companies Charleston SC, then you won’t be having much of a problem with time. Professionals can strip a roof to its base within a day, so time is rarely an issue.
The Components of a Roof
Have a look at your home. Make sure that you know all of the factors about your roof before you start making big plans for your replacement or repairs. There are, essentially, five fundamental elements of a roof, and you will need to ensure that you know what they all mean. These are:
1: The roof covering – This is the most visible material, and protects the sheathing from the local weather elements.
2: Sheathing – This is one of the most important parts of your roof. The sheathing protects the wooden or metal underlay that is fastened to the roof rafters.
3: Structure – This is the trusses and rafters that are in place to support the sheathing, and ultimately protect the integrity of your roof.
4: Flashing – Quite often this is made of metal, although there are alternative materials available. Your flashing will be installed in the joints and valleys of your roof’s systems and is there to prevent water seepage.
5: Drainage – easy to overlook, this is a vital part of your roof design. Your drainage will need to fully optimized for maximum water shedding, and factors like the shape of your roof, the angle of the slope, and even the layout, will all play a part when it comes to installing the best drainage.
Consider The Threats
Here in Charleston, we have some great, sub-tropical weather. However, that doesn’t mean you can get complacent about what your roof might have to withstand. The biggest enemies of your roof will be:
- Sunlight: Both the heat and the UV rays can speed up roof deterioration.
- Rain: Water gets everywhere, and if rainwater can get beneath your roof’s top layer, then that can lead to structural rotting, mold, and damage to your home’s electrical systems.
- Wind: During the colder months, it can get very windy in Charleston. That means that your roof can be at risk, especially at the edges. If your edges get lifted by high winds, then that will simply allow water in.
- Snow/Ice: Winter is often the harshest challenge to a roof, so professional roofing companies will be able to ensure that you aren’t at risk from ice, melting snow, or broken drainage systems.
Although it’s not something that most people think about, your roof is one of the most important parts of your home. No matter what look you’re aiming for, make sure that you know as much as you can about your roofing needs, and talk to the best roofing company in Charleston SC.